What are standing seam metal roof benefits that make it a popular choice?
The definition of a standing seam metal roofing is a roof that is a concealed fastener metal panel system with vertical legs that have a wide, flat area in the middle of the two legs. The vertical legs are the raised or standing seam which stands above the flat panel area. The standing seam metal roof is formed by each adjoining seam being crimped to the one next to it, thus creating one join.
There are many roof types available for homes today and standing seam metal roof has taken the lead in popularity. Why? The looks are different without being too far “out” there, and they have earned a reputation for being “cool” during hot summer months.
While metal roofing isn’t anything new, and standing seam metal roof isn’t either, but they have grabbed the attention of architects, designers, and homeowners that are after a contemporary look. The “cool” feature and their durability are a bonus. We’ve compiled a list of the advantages standing seam metal roofs offer you:
- Contemporary look
- Keep homes cooler
- Long-lasting – up to 50 years!
What is the difference between standing seam vs corrugated metal roofs?
The standing seam metal roof assembly is the construction of interlocking metal panels that run between the roof ridge and roof eave. A corrugated metal roof is the alternating grooves and ridges that interlock rippled metal sheets.
What is the difference between standing seam metal roof versus asphalt?
The choices in roofing material can overwhelm anyone today. If you’re shopping for a new roof, find a contractor that has an established reputation and will take the time to talk to you about the choices available. We discussed the advantages of standing seam metal roof earlier in this piece from the homeowner’s perspective. Now, we will look deeper and then we’ll discuss the advantages of an asphalt shingle roof.
Standing Seam Metal Roofing Advantages
- Lightweight – makes it less expensive because it is easier for the installation.
- Longevity –metal roofing has lasted 50 years or longer.
- Lower Long-Term Cost – because it lasts longer, new roofing won’t be needed as soon as an asphalt roof will.
- Fire Resistance – metal roofing is Class A fire-rated, it is noncombustible, and insurance companies love it enough to give homeowners a discount for having metal roofing.
- Weather Resistant – metal roofing can withstand torrential rain, extreme cold and heat, hail, ice, snow, and strong winds.
- When compared to different materials
- Eco Friendly – standing seam metal roofing is eco-friendly because it is from recycled metal and when it has come to the end of life for a roof, it can be recycled again.
- Energy Efficient – Metal roofing is available in a “cool roofing design today with metal panels that are highly emissive and release any absorbed heat
- Added Property Value – because standing seam metal roofs have a longer lifespan, they are an attraction for prospective buyers.
- Minimal Maintenance – the upkeep of metal roofing is minimal when professionally installed, which is why it is important to hire a contractor with standing seam metal roof experience.
- More Colors available –standing seam metal roofs aren’t just in metal color anymore! Perhaps one of the biggest selling points for metal roofing is that it can come in virtually.
Shingle Roofing Advantages
- Short Term Economical – asphalt shingles are less expensive to install, but they will need to be replaced within 15 to 20 years, sooner if there are weather issues.
- Easy Installation and Replacement – asphalt shingles do not take as much time or labor to install new or work replacements.
- Repairs Are Less Expensive – not only is installation easier and less expensive, so are repairs.
- Readily Available Contractors – there are more contractors experienced in asphalt shingle installation.
- Durable to Foot Traffic – asphalt shingle roofing isn’t as easily damaged by foot traffic as standing seam metal roofing.
- Availability – asphalt shingles are readily available no matter where you live.
- Warranty Coverage – asphalt shingle roofing will have a warranty by the contractor that installs the roof and the manufacturer.
How long do standing seam metal roofs last?
As we have mentioned already, standing seam metal roof will last up to 50 years or more in most cases. What is the difference between standing seam metal roof vs snap lock? There are two types of standing seam metal roofing:
- Field-locked or mechanically locked means the seams must be crimped on the job site using a special crimping tool.
- Snap-lock standing seam metal roof system is more expensive, but they are snapped together on the job site, not special tools needed.
What is the minimum slope for standing seam metal roof?
The standing seam metal roof profile will need to meet a minimum requirement for roof slope per panel. The profile means the shape that the metal sheets take when bent to form panels. Stand seam metal roof slope is conveyed by a ratio that indicates the roof pitch, noting the roof’s vertical rise in inches going horizontally. The most common ratio for slopes is 3to12, ½ to 12 and ¼ to 12.
Can you walk on a standing seam metal roof?
Yes, on a standing seam metal roof be walked on without causing damage on most of it. Metal tile roofing should be walked on close to the roof decking in low spots. With metal corrugated panels, walking where the screws go into the roof decking.
Can you put a metal roof on a low pitch roof?
Yes, it is one of the easiest roofs to install metal roofing material. Characteristically, a low slope metal roof system weights as light as 40 pounds up to 135 pounds per one hundred square feet. This is one of the lightest roofing products, making it one of the easiest to install. A standing seam metal roof is a roofing material that fits any architectural style. For houses in a property owner association, it is recommended to make sure it meets the regulations as required.
Need standing seam metal roof installation in Macon & Augusta, GA? Call the experts at Crosby Roofing when you dial 478-785-2285!